What Are Champions in League of Legends
League of Legends is a massively popular online multiplayer game. While it has a steep learning curve and can be quite difficult to master for the newbie player, experience in playing yields greater rewards and satisfaction.
One of the most overwhelming aspects of League of Legends is the concept of champions. In all game modes, players control characters called champions, and each champion has a unique set of abilities. Champions begin matches at a low level, and then gain experience points over the course of every match to level up. Gaining champions levels enables players to unlock the abilities of champions and augment them. Such augmentations are unique to every character. Elite club members like the l9 are known to possess high level champions. Here is an overview of the champion types in League of Legends to make them easier for new players to digest.
Champions and their types
There are currently more than 140 champion types in League of Legends. Each team will have five champions, for a total of 10 champions per game.
Champions are unique, meaning that no two are exactly the same. League divides its champions types based on the type of damage a champion deals; some champions deal physical damage, and others deal magic damage. Some champions deal a combination of both and can choose which type of damage to emphasize. The developer, Riot Games has classified champions into six types to make it easier for beginners. The classification is as follows:
- Marksman – They are ranged champions, capable of dealing physical damage. Their attacks can be resisted by the armour stat. They are best at destroying enemy turrets or drakes. Marksmen have weak defence, and examples of this type include Ashe and Miss Fortune.
- Assassin – Assassins are very fast in killing other champions, often within melee range. They have excellent mobility and go after other champions in attack. They are often used to strike priority targets. Examples include Diana, Fiz and Zed.
- Mage – Mages are also called AP Carries and deal powerful magic damage but have weak defence and mobility. Mage are diverse in the way they attack, with some focusing on single champions while others specialize in area of effect damage to multiple targets. Examples include Karthus, Lux.
- Tank – Tanks, like the name suggest, take a lot of damage and are hard to kill. As a trade-off, they deal less damage. They are good at distracting or disabling enemies. Examples of tanks include Sejuani, Zac and Rammus.
- Support – These are champions who directly support the team by providing healing and buffing abilities. Supports pay more attention to the map as a whole, watching surprise enemy movements. Examples include Alistar and Nami.
So that is an overview of the types of champions you find in League of Legends.